The Colusa Theatre opened on May 15, 1931 with Jack Oakie in “The Dude Ranch”. It was located in premises which had previously been the Sargent Mercantile Building. It was severly damaged in a fire on October 1946 and was renovated in August 1947. It continued until closure came in 1995. Renovation work began in 1996 and the theatre reopened its doors to the public.
This rather boxy facade has a very nice marquee which features interesting neon on the bottom. Curiously, it displays no name on the outside. It appears that there were signs at either end. The entire street level is faced with fancy tiles.
The Colusa Theatre building was built as a department store in the early 1890’s and was converted to a theatre in 1931. As with many theatres, the Colusa Theatre was badly damaged by fire in 1946. The current interior design, facade, and marquee date to the 1947 re-opening.
A local artist, Adele Etcheverry, restored the 1947 murals.